Star-struck in Las Vegas

It’s 5:30 am. I’m dolled up like I’m going to a nightclub. Judging from the hum of the bustling Vegas casino, you’d think I was going to a nightclub.
Coffee. Is that too much to ask? Apparently, it is. Though there are eight open bars within throwing distance, there’s not an open Starbucks in sight.

Wearing 5-inch heels on any other day at 5:30 am, I’d be a grumpus deluxe. But this is the dawn of no ordinary day. This is the day that I get to meet and be photographed by Jasmine Star, photographer extraordinaire. The adrenaline pumping through my veins is the equivalent of four venti nonfat mochas with whipped. And that’s a lot of coffee!

A few weeks ago, one of my favorite wedding photographers on the whole planet wrote a blog post announcing that she’d be doing an early morning mini-shoot shop during the WPPI convention in Las Vegas. Though I’d have killed to be one of the lucky photographers to learn from Jasmine Star, I had something else in mind. I decided to send in photos of Mark and I in hopes to be the lucky chosen couple to be photographed in Las Vegas. It would require a spur-of-the-moment trip and taking an unscheduled 20 hour hiatus from reality, my job, and Mark’s law classes, but boy would it be worth it.
The reason you never see photos of Mark and I together is that….well, there are none! I take photos of Mark…and then I take photos of Baxter…then some more of Baxter…and then I bully Mark into taking one of me. That’s the way it works around here!

Well, despite the disbelief that exists in my head to this very moment, Jasmine and her awesome husband JD picked Mark and me! So off to the kennel went Baxter (much to his dismay), and off to Sin City went Mark and myself. The shoot was everything I’d hoped for and more! Jasmine worked her magic and captured our love, and I learned sooo much from her in the process. Jasmine has an undeniable inner joy that just radiates as she works with you, and JD is quite possibly the sweetest, sincerest guy I’ve ever met (aside from Mark, of course!:-). I also met some incredible and super-inspirational photographers from around the country. The morning made my YEAR, hands down!!

Jasmine’s sneak peek blog post can be found here. I’m particularly in love with the second shot of all the photographers clicking away whilst we work it out for them Tyra-style (ha).

We didn’t check any luggage, so I resisted the urge to pack my Canon 5D and 70 – 200 and opted instead for my AH-mazing point-and-shoot and just seven expired polaroids. After the early morning shoot, Mark and I had just 4 short hours to experience Las Vegas. As you all know, that’s utterly impossible. Nevertheless, I attempted to capture the essence of Vegas with my rapidly deteriorating stash of polaroid film. Mark and I walked the strip hand in hand and took it all in while I came down from my Jasmine Star high.

las vegas polaroid photo

las vegas photo

Las Vegas photo

las vegas photo

kristen - February 18, 2009 - 11:18 pm

yay i can comment! im doing an excited running in place motion! so awesome. i just can’t believe how cool that had to have been. yow! mark already looks like a pro male model :)

megan - February 19, 2009 - 10:17 am

i checked out the pics of you guys, and WOW! what an adorable couple. i love your blog, btw…hope you had fun in vegas! =]

jeramy - February 19, 2009 - 12:21 pm

oops…i commented on the wrong post. it was a fun morning! i can’t wait to see all the shots.

ksen : ) - February 19, 2009 - 10:05 pm

jaclyn!!!! i am finally getting settled back into town & getting around to checking out your ah!mazing work —- you so rock! i am SO incredibly happy to have been able to meet you & Mark — not only are you both ‘straight-out-of-a-magazine-gorgeous’ but i could immediately feel the warmth the exuded from you both the moment i walked up that morning. what an experience… and i am telling you, you guys should be giving yourselves high-fives because you WORKED IT! i am so happy to have met you & to be in touch. thank you for taking the time to leave me some love on my blog — you totally made me smile! i have some uber beauts of images that i just love of the two of you from that morning that i will be blogging soon…. stay tuned! ps. love that last image of Mark btw!

emily griffith - February 20, 2009 - 1:50 pm

Jaclyn, It was so great to meet you at Jasmine’s shoot at WPPI! You and Mark were so awesome! I’m impressed with your skills both behind AND in front of the camera! I’ll be sure to send you some of my images in the next couple days! Thanks for being awesome models and braving the cold!
-emily

Jasmine* - February 21, 2009 - 5:21 pm

Girl, you rocked it out!! It was awesome meeting you and I can’t wait for our paths to cross again! I wish you the best and I can’t wait for you to see everyone’s photos! :)

Kyle Burnell - February 21, 2009 - 8:19 pm

Great meeting you guys at WPPI. I’ll get you some images in the next day or two :)

daria bishop - February 22, 2009 - 9:10 am

Jacyln + Mark, it was so wonderful working with you!! It couldn’t be easy having the paparazzi following your every move, but you handled it like stars!!
Thanks again!! xo

gina - February 23, 2009 - 9:21 am

Oh, how wonderful and no better way to capture the love both you and hubby share, than with Jasmine Star. I too love her and of course her work.

Heather Cole - February 23, 2009 - 9:53 am

OMG – Can I tell you how excited I am that I’ve gotten to meet you and photograph you two! I can’t wait to show you the pictures! :)

Miss you!!!

kristen - k.holly photography - February 23, 2009 - 1:42 pm

Jaclyn! It was SO great to meet you at WPPI! You and Mark totally rocked it at the session! You are just totally fabulous on both sides of the camera! Thanks again for modeling for us, and for being so sweet and sincere!

Mel - February 24, 2009 - 5:28 pm

Jaclyn~

Just wanted to drop by and say hi. You looked awesome in the pix shot my Jasmine and the others! I thought you might get a kick out of this…I think I’ll be taking one of your pix to my hairdresser when I get the nerve. I adore your cut and seeing you in those fierce photos might be just what I need to get the guts to make the cut.

ps you take very nice pix yourself! I bet it was a blast meeting Jasmine!

Emily Mason - February 25, 2009 - 2:56 pm

Love your work and your blog=)

[...] charged, and ready… and bundled up in coats for the chilly morning air.  Our lovely models, Jaclyn & Mark, are looking absolutely fabulous and ready to bring it!  They flew in from Kansas just for [...]

Your email is never published or shared. Required fields are marked *

There was an error submitting your comment. Please try again.

C O N N E C T